The Great Works River Watershed, 23 miles in length, drains large areas of South Berwick and North Berwick as it heads to the Salmon Falls River, then the Piscataqua River on its way to Great Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.
Piscataqua Region Estuaries Partners has granted funding to Great Works Regional Land Trust, Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve and Great Works River Watershed Coalition for the purpose of implementing five high priority tasks:
- Outreach to increase recognition of the direct connection between the condition of waterfront buffers and water quality.
- Update water quality data
- Create 'Best Management Practices" proposal
- Outreach concerning invasive aquatic species
- Provide access to information utilizing the Reserve's Seacoast Watershed Information Manager (SWIM).